Sowing area coverage of summer crops rises significantly
The Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare, Government of India, under the guidance of the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, is taking several measures to facilitate farmers and farming activities at field level during the lockdown period.
The Union Minister of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare Narendra Singh Tomar is regularly monitoring the situation. The updated status is given below:
Status of procurement of crops by NAFED during lockdown period:
- 2.74 Lakh MT Gram (Chana) has been procured from 9 States namely Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka, Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh and Haryana.
- 3.40 Lakh MT Mustard has been procured from 5 States namely Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat and Haryana.
- 1700 MT of Sunflower has been procured from Telangana.
- 1.71 Lakh MT Toor has been procured from 8 States namely Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Odisha.
Sowing Area Coverage of Summer Crops:
- Rice: About 34.87 lakh ha area coverage under summer rice as compared to 25.29 lakh ha during the corresponding period of last year.
- Pulses: About 10.35 lakh ha area coverage under pulses as compared to 5.92 lakh ha. during the corresponding period of last year.
- Course Cereals: About 9.57 lakh ha area coverage under coarse cereals as compared to 6.20 lakh ha. during the corresponding period of last year.
- Oilseeds: About 9.17 lakh ha area coverage under oilseeds as compared to 7.09 lakh ha. during the corresponding period of last year.
In Rabi Marketing Season (RMS) 2020-21, a total of 241.36 Lakh MT wheat arrived in FCI out of which 233.51 Lakh MT is purchased.
In Rabi season 2020-21, a total of 3206 designated procurement centers for Rabi pulses and oilseeds are available in eleven (11) States.